UNICEF Canada

1100-2200 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M4S 2C6
President: David Morley
Board Chair: Don Fox

Website: www.unicef.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 12268 0572 RR0001
Sector: International Aid
Operating Charity

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: A

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #62

Avg. Compensation $84,710

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 1
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 3
$120k - $160k 3
$80k - $120k 2
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About UNICEF Canada:

Founded in 1955, UNICEF Canada (UNC) raises funds for the US-based international organization, United Nations Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) and advocates for children's rights in Canada. UNC funds support poor children in developing countries by providing education, counselling and protection as well as various health programs around the world, including food, water, sanitation and hygiene programs. UNC reports that 16,000 children die every day and 2.4 billion people do not have access to proper sanitation. In 2015, 2.7 million children died within the first month of their lives.

In F2015, UNICEF Canada distributed $24.8m to UNICEF for its programs and spent $3.7m on advocating for children's rights in Canada. UNICEF gave out 2.8 billion doses of 19 vaccines, reaching 45% of the world's children across 100 countries. It immunized more than 93 million children against measles and distributed 2.5 million cartons of food to poor people in 62 countries. UNICEF arranged medical care, food and education for 47,000 children living alone in Central America. Using supplies from Denmark, UNICEF shipped 33 cargo loads of emergency supplies to respond to crises in South Sudan, Iraq, Liberia, Syria and Central African Republic. The charity provided safe drinking water to 140,000 people stuck in the conflict in Eastern Ukraine.

In F2015, UNICEF withdrew more than 5.6 million children from child labour and saved 10,000 children from armed groups. UNICEF Canada reports that, since 1990, its efforts have led to an increase in school enrolment from 33% to 50%. Further, UNC helped raise the number of education policies and programs in the world from 31% in 2013 to 37% in 2014.

Financial Review:

UNICEF Canada is one of Canada's Major 100 charities, which received donations of $33.9m in F2015. Administrative costs are 7% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 24% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 31%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. UNC has total funding reserves of $8.8m that can cover the charity's annual program costs for 4 months.

This report is an update and is currently being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated July 21st, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 6.8%9.0%6.4%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 23.8%25.1%23.8%
Program cost coverage (%) 30.9%41.8%39.0%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 33,91826,97724,958
Government funding 4,90103,000
Business activities (net) 497588226
Other income 827280
Total revenues 39,39727,63728,264
Program costs 3,6853,6052,681
Grants 24,81414,45117,745
Administrative costs 2,6812,4861,816
Fundraising costs 8,0866,7765,936
Cash flow from operations 13131886
Funding reserves 8,7937,5547,966
Note: Ci reports net revenues from product sales, reducing both revenues and expenses by $71k in F2015, $122k in F2014 and $85k in F2013. Ci removed amortization from administrative and fundraising expenses.   

Comments added by the Charity:

UNICEF has saved more children's lives than any other humanitarian organization. We work tirelessly to help children and their families, doing whatever it takes to ensure children survive. We provide children with healthcare and immunization, clean water, nutrition and food security, education, emergency relief and more.

UNICEF is supported entirely by voluntary donations and helps children regardless of race, religion or politics. As part of the UN, we are active in over 190 countries - more than any other organization. Our determination and our reach are unparalleled. Because nowhere is too far to go to help a child survive. Thank you for considering a donation or getting involved with UNICEF Canada. For accurate and up-to-date information and to learn more, please visit www.UNICEF.ca or call 1-800-308-3248.

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top