Ottawa Food Bank

1317 Michael Street
Ottawa, ON K1B 3M9
Executive Director: Michael Maidment
Board Chair: David Law

Website: www.ottawafoodbank.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 10808 2363 RR0001
Sector: Social Services - Food Bank (Distributor)
Operating Charity

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #23

Avg. Compensation $65,821

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 1
$80k - $120k 2
$40k - $80k 7
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Ottawa Food Bank:

Founded in 1984, Ottawa Food Bank (OFB) grows, collects and distributes food to local charities that feed poor people. OFB runs the Fresh Harvest and City Harvest programs, in which it retrieves excess food from wastage. Under the Community Harvest program, OFB grows fruits and vegetables on its Black Family Farm near Stittsville.

In F2015, Ottawa Food Bank distributed $7.5m worth of donated food and spent $1.1m on purchasing food. OFB supports 140 emergency food programs and distributes 14 tons of food every day. It gave away 176,553 pounds of fresh fruits and vegetables in 2015. OFB reports that it feeds 50,000 people every month.

Ottawa Food Bank claims that every $1 of donations turns into $5 worth of food. OFB further states that 37% of its clients are children and that 45% of its visitors are families with children.

Financial Review:

Ottawa Food Bank is a Big-Cap charity, which received monetary donations and special event revenues of $4.7m in F2015 along with donated food worth $7.5m in F2015. Administrative costs are 2% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 15% costs of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 17%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. OFB has total funding reserves of $1.3m. Excluding the cost of donated food, OFB's funding reserves cover program costs for 5 months.

This report is an update and is currently being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated June 20th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending September
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 1.6%1.5%1.9%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 14.9%10.3%12.1%
Program cost coverage (%) 38.4%28.6%13.4%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 4,0763,7563,373
Goods in kind 7,5107,6316,358
Special events 682615477
Investment income 14119
Total revenues 12,28212,01410,217
Program costs 3,3163,2603,223
Grants 7,5107,6316,358
Administrative costs 192177196
Fundraising costs 707452465
Cash flow from operations 557494(24)
Funding reserves 1,274933433
Note: Ci removed amortization of deferred capital contributions in its revenue calculations.  Ci excluded gains on disposal of capital assets from the income statement.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top