Tuesday, December 1 is the international day of giving. But where should donors give? At Charity Intelligence, we believe donors should do a little research before giving and we have a few ideas of where to look:
Giving Tuesday began in 2012. This is its 9th year. Giving Tuesday is the kick-off to the final 31 days of the giving season for 2020. The giving season is as important to charities as Christmas shopping is to stores. It's not uncommon for charities to receive 40%-50% of their annual donations in December.
Giving Tuesday will be about Twitter, Instagram, and hashtags, but we hope it is more. Let's make Giving Tuesday a day to reflect on our giving and the change each of us hopes to see in the world.
Key trends in giving: A fundamental shift in donors being better informed.
- Donors see it as a duty to know about the charities they support
- Donors are looking for details - a breakdown of specifics on where their dollars go
- They are looking for evidence-based results, actual proven solutions to problems
- And impact - 78% of donors say that if they don't know how a donation is making an impact, they are very likely or somewhat likely to stop donating
- 71% of donors say they would like matching gifts as they believe they increase impact. This is a misperception. Please read the idea of doubling your impact with a matching gift is just mumbo-jumbo.