Giving Tuesday Now
Giving Tuesday Now is a global day of giving and unity on May 5, 2020 as an emergency response to COVID-19.
Canadians are generous, especially in times of great need like the one at present. Canadian donors are asking how they can help.
Charity Intelligence researches charities to find where donors can give for the most impact. Today, and always.
- Watch out for charities that are actively fundraising for COVID-19 that either do not need the money (see our article on charities hoarding cash like people are hoarding toilet paper) or do not have cost-effective programs
- Ci is recommending a number of high-impact food banks and other highly-rated frontline charities for COVID-19 giving in Canada
- Ci is recommending giving to Doctors Without Borders and Farm Radio for donors wanting to help internationally
- To plan how much to give, we suggest looking at your current giving and thinking about possible adjustments to the charities you support. Consider adjusting your donations by lightening up on support to foundations, arts and cultural, environmental, and education charities. (For environmental donors, perhaps the current shutdown is our best donation for the planet right now.) Depending upon the charities you have previously supported, this may make more money available to give to frontline charities.
- Selection of charities with high demonstrated impact in any area of giving is always a good idea and crucial now
- Donations to high-impact charities that are positioned to meet COVID-19-caused problems should be able to have 2 to 10 times the impact per dollar of other giving