Bird Studies Canada

P.O. Box 160, 115 Front Street
Port Rowan, ON N0E 1M0
President: Steven Price
Board Chair: Karen Brown

Website: www.bsc-eoc.org
Charitable Reg. #: 11902 4313 RR0001
Sector: Environment
Operating Charity

Donor Accountability

Grade: B-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Most recent audited financial statements available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

donor
endowed
Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #24

Avg. Compensation $66,524

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 1
$80k - $120k 3
$40k - $80k 6
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2016

About Bird Studies Canada:

Founded in 1960, Bird Studies Canada works to conserve Canada’s wild birds through research, conservation, education and public engagement. Research and conservation program spending made up 94% of program costs in F2016, while membership services accounted for the remaining 6%.  

Bird Studies reports spending $4.2m in research and conservation programs in F2016 – 72% went to regional programs, 20% went to national programs and 8% when to international programs. Research and Conservation programs track bird population trends, study causes of population declines, examine conservation concerns and create recommendations to protect bird species. The charity’s Important Bird and Biodiversity Areas (IBA) program identifies, conserves and monitors sites in Canada where threatened bird populations live. Bird Studies reports having over 600 IBA sites in Canada as of 2016. Motus is Bird Studies’ tracking system for migratory birds. Bird Studies reports that in 2016, 365 receiving stations in 6 countries tracked 72 species of birds, bats and insects. Bird Studies is also a part of Canada’s National Atlas Program that creates Breeding Bird Atlases. Bird Studies reports that in 2016, breeding bird atlas efforts covered over 50% of Canada’s 1 billion hectares of land and generated 8,000 atlases involving 700 species. 

Bird Studies’ Citizen Science program engages Canadians in bird conservation by allowing people to volunteer in tracking bird populations. The charity reports that Citizen Science-gathered data assessed over 35 species at risk and gathered over 6 million new pieces of information on wild birds in Canada in 2016. Bird Studies’ Education programs include training sessions, workshops and curriculum-linked school programs to teach people about the importance of bird conservation. The charity reports reaching 2,300 students through its school programs, 27,000 people through its outreach events and education programs, and 6,500 people in its youth and education programs in 2015. 

Bird Studies Canada reports that its staff contribute to 35 peer-reviewed scientific publications each year. The charity has over 200 published articles and reports being cited over 2,500 times since 1995.   

Financial Review:

Bird Studies Canada is a medium-sized charity with total donations and special events fundraising of $2.8m in F2016. Administrative costs are 6% of revenues and fundraising costs are 8% of donations. Per dollar donated to the charity, $0.86 goes towards its programs, which falls within Ci’s reasonable range for overhead spending.

Bird Studies Canada holds funding reserves of $5.5m with an endowment fund of $4.8m. Excluding endowed funds, the charity’s reserves can cover only 16% of annual program costs, indicating a funding need.

This charity report is a new profile that is currently being reviewed by Bird Studies Canada. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Profile created on May 29, 2017 by Katie Khodawandi.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
20162015
Administrative costs as % of revenues 6.2%7.4%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 7.6%7.2%
Program cost coverage (%) 122.8%120.5%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
20162015
Donations 2,4142,360
Government funding 2,1682,246
Fees for service 238234
Special events 362319
Investment income (72)378
Other income 5087
Total revenues 5,1605,624
Program costs 4,4474,600
Grants 1921
Administrative costs 326386
Fundraising costs 212193
Other costs 11
Cash flow from operations 155424
Funding reserves 5,4845,570
Note:  Ci used government funding figures from the charity’s T3010 CRA filing and backed the amounts out of donations. Ci reported change in fair value of investments in investment income, affecting revenues by ($475k) in F2016 and $273k in F2015. Ci did not report gain/loss on sale of property, buildings and equipment, affecting revenues by ($1k) in F2016 and $2k in F2015.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top