Wood Buffalo Food Bank

10117 King Street
Fort McMurray, AB T9H 3J1
Executive Director: Arianna Johnson
Board Chair: Paul McWilliams

Website: woodbuffalofoodbank.com
Charitable Reg. #: 10739 4934 RR0001
Sector: Social Services - Food Bank (Distributor)
Operating Charity

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: A-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #13

Avg. Compensation $31,882

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 1
$40k - $80k 2
< $40k 7
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Wood Buffalo Food Bank:

Founded in 1983, Wood Buffalo Food Bank Association (WBFB) provides food and support to Fort McMurray's poor and unemployed. WBFB collects, manages and distributes food to poor neighborhoods and homeless shelters throughout the region. With the crash in oil prices, Fort McMurray's unemployment rate tripled to 7.8%; 7,000 people were unemployed in the Wood Buffalo / Cold Lake region in 2015, up from 2,500 in 2014.

With higher unemployment, more residents than ever turn to the foodbank for help. In 2015, Wood Buffalo Food Bank distributed 19,964 pounds of food in 2015, feeding 2,344 people - a 45% increase over 2014.

Fort McMurray Fire Disaster Response: In all Canadian disasters, food banks are a go-to local charity that responds on the frontlines helping a community get back on its feet. WBFB is facing overwhelming demand. People lost the contents of fridges and freezers, and fire damaged stored food requiring that it be thrown out. Since restarting operations on June 11th following the evacuation, WBFB today is maxed out and is only able to distribute 750 hampers a week (compared with 75 hampers a week prior to the fire). Alberta Food Banks are rallying to supply the food; WBFB is asking for cash donations.

Financial Review:

Wood Buffalo Food Bank is a Mid-Cap charity, which received monetary donations and special events revenues of $1.1m in F2015. Administrative costs are 11% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 7% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 18%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. WBFB has total funding reserves of $826k that can cover its program costs for 1.1 years.

This report is an update and is currently being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated June 22nd, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending July
20152014
Administrative costs as % of revenues 10.9%15.5%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 7.3%10.9%
Program cost coverage (%) 110.1%213.4%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
20152014
Donations 646,894229,639
Special events 456,15448,189
Investment income 5,2412,989
Other income 27,41420,544
Total revenues 1,135,703301,361
Program costs 750,004331,284
Administrative costs 123,32246,178
Fundraising costs 80,21530,150
Other costs 14,4300
Cash flow from operations 167,732(106,251)
Funding reserves 825,664706,827
Note: Ci excluded amortization of deferred capital contributions and recognition of revenue from capital replacement expenditures in its revenue calculations. Ci removed contributions for capital replacement from its expenses calculation.  

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top