Canadian Cancer Society - Quebec Division

5151 de l'Assomption Blvd.
Montreal, QC H1T 4A9
Board Chair: Pierre B. Lafreniere
Executive Director: Suzanne Dubois

Website: www.cancer.ca/en/?region=qc
Charitable Reg. #: 11882 9803 RR0001
Sector: Health - Cancer
Operating Charity

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #118

Avg. Compensation $99,049

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 2
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 5
$160k - $200k 3
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Canadian Cancer Society - Quebec Division:

Founded in 1938, the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) funds cancer research, influences government policy on cancer and provides information to prevent cancer and to support people with this disease. Like the national division, Canadian Cancer Society – Quebec Division (CCSQU) works to improve survival rates of cancer victims and enhance the quality of life of cancer patients.

In F2015, Canadian Cancer Society – Quebec Division spent $13.9m on its programs and $1.2m on advocacy. It allocated $7.2m to the Canadian Cancer Research Institute for cancer research. The institute covers research on prevention, treatment and diagnosis. In F2015, CCSQU gave out 6,500 wigs and accessories to cancer patients and responded to 20,000 information requests on cancer. It organizes the Trottibus Walking School Bus, a pedestrian school bus which allows students to walk to school every morning. Canadian Cancer Society – Quebec Division raised awareness of the harmful effects of UV rays among 500,000 youths and lobbied for anti-tobacco legislation. According to the charity, thanks to its efforts, the number of young smokers has decreased from 33% to 12% over the past 15 years.

Financial Review:

Canadian Cancer Society – Quebec Division is one of the Major 100 charities of Canada. In F2015, it received donations and special events revenues of $27.2m. Administrative costs are 4% of total revenues and fundraising costs come to 31% of donations. Total overhead costs are 35%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. CCSQU has funding reserves of $16.9m which can cover 9 months of program costs.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on August 8th, 2016 by Mirza Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending January
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 4.2%3.9%4.2%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 30.9%29.5%28.9%
Program cost coverage (%) 75.9%64.9%65.3%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 7,3577,8678,202
Government funding 1,7812,7621,780
Special events 19,79320,37920,600
Investment income 967568533
Other income 1,4061,3631,351
Total revenues 31,30532,93832,466
Program costs 15,07716,15015,284
Grants 7,2297,2158,425
Administrative costs 1,2781,2651,342
Fundraising costs 8,3978,3348,318
Cash flow from operations (676)(26)(903)
Funding reserves 16,92115,16215,473
Note: Ci removed amortization from administration and fundraising costs. Canadian Cancer Society does not break down employee compensation data for its divisions. All employee compensation is based on the Canadian Cancer Society’s national division’s data.

Comments added by the Charity:

The charity added in 2014:

With the support of thousands of volunteers and donors, the Quebec Division of the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) works to save more lives. Its services are available in 55 cities across Quebec. In 2013, there were 370 people each day who turned to the organization for support, information and cancer prevention methods.

Because one in two cancers is preventable, the CCS promotes a healthy lifestyle as a first line of defence against the disease. It helps those who want to quit smoking, encourages cancer screening, raises awareness of the hazards of UV rays, promotes active transportation for schoolchildren and calls for legislation to protect Quebecers’ health. The CCS is also the largest national charitable funder of cancer research in the country. In 2013, 70 research teams were awarded grants in Quebec alone. Finally, the CCS helps people living with cancer by offering them support during and beyond the disease. It answers their questions and provides them with reliable information on all aspects of cancer. It offers material and financial assistance to people living with cancer to make their daily lives easier as well as accommodation to patients from outside of Montreal needing treatment in the city.

Go to top