You may also like:
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
Inspiring creativity
Arts & Culture
Banff, AB
CKUA Radio Foundation
Music. Story. Connection.
Arts & Culture
Edmonton, AB
Robb Nash Project
Engaging young people through the power of music and words
Social Services - Youth
Winnipeg, MB

Calgary Philharmonic Society

205 - 8th Avenue SE
Calgary, AB T2G 0K9
President & CEO: Paul Dornian
Board Chair: Walt DeBoni

Charitable Reg. #: 11882 3863 RR0001
Sector: Arts & Culture
Operating Charity

Results Reporting

Grade: D

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [Audited financial statement for most recent year]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to the Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #96

Avg. Compensation $80,787

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 2
$80k - $120k 8
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Calgary Philharmonic Society :

The Calgary Philharmonic Society (CPS) operates a Canadian orchestra called the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra (CPO). It was formed in 1955 by the merger of Alberta Philharmonic and Calgary Symphony.  CPS organizes 85 concerts every season to serve the diverse arts community of Calgary and Alberta. The variety of these concerts satisfies all musical tastes. The charity attracts many big names in live music ensembles, including award-winning conductor, Roberto Minczuk. CPS states that more than 110,000 people attend its performances every year.

Calgary Philharmonic Society has many youth outreach programs, such as CPO in your Community and Musical Camps for Kids. Through these programs the charity hopes to get more youth participation in the orchestra. It also funds two scholarship awards, the RBC Concerto Competition and the Marley Rynd Scholarship. The CPossibilities program offers cheaper access to the orchestra for younger audiences and the Artist in Residence program brings musicians in contact with high school students.  CPS also has senior outreach programs in place to provide free performances to senior citizens. With its outreach programs, CPS provides free music to over 20,000 Albertans each year.

Financial Review:

Calgary Philharmonic Society is a large charity that received $5m in donations in F2015. Administrative costs are 17% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 10% of total donations. Total overhead costs are 27% and fall in Ci’s reasonable range. Total funding reserves are $33m, of which $32m are donor-endowed. Excluding donor-endowed funds, funding reserves can cover program costs 3.3 times.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by Calgary Philharmonic Society. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on  May 25, 2016 by Mirza Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending June
Administrative costs as % of revenues 16.9%15.9%15.1%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 10.1%10.1%0.0%
Program cost coverage (%) 336.3%355.6%280.4%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 4,6835,1645,657
Government funding 117675183
Fees for service 4,8594,8715,009
Special events 585712509
Investment income 2,3695,5663,603
Other income (1)9610
Total revenues 12,61317,08414,971
Program costs 9,9159,44410,104
Administrative costs 1,7261,8321,716
Fundraising costs 5315950
Fundraising & administrative costs 000
Cash flow from operations 4415,2143,150
Funding reserves 33,34433,58428,333
Note: Charity Intelligence has consolidated the audited financial statements of Calgary Philharmonic Society and Calgary Philharmonic Foundation. CI has taken all expenses breakdowns from CRA’s T3010 forms, and reconciled the values to the audited financial statements.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top