Special Olympics Ontario

65 Overlea Boulevard, Suite 200
Toronto, ON M4H 1P1
Board Chair: Shafiq Ebrahim
CEO: Glenn MacDonell

Website: www.specialolympicsontario.com
Charitable Reg. #: 11906 8435 RR0001
Sector: Sports & Recreation
Operating Charity

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #20

Avg. Compensation $70,439

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 1
$80k - $120k 1
$40k - $80k 8
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Special Olympics Ontario:

Founded in 1968, Special Olympics Ontario provides year-round training and athletic competitions for kids and adults with intellectual disabilities. In F2015, the charity allowed 20,315 intellectually challenged athletes to play in sports and build up physical skills. The total number of athletes increased by 30% from 2006 to 2015. The charity relies on 37,754 volunteers, including 15,591 coaches and 10,000 law enforcement officers. The charity has 2,242 clubs as of F2015, including 1,105 community clubs, 125 youth clubs, and 1,012 school clubs.

The charity's signature project, Physical Activity & Healthy Living, also known as pahl, promotes healthy active living to Special Olympics athletes and students across Ontario. Local elementary and secondary school students with intellectual disabilities can participate in activities that introduce them to many official Special Olympics sports including Bocce, Basketball, Soccer, Bowling, Floor Hockey and more.

Financial Review:

In F2015, Special Olympics Ontario spent 5% of revenues on administrative costs and 24% of donations on fundraising costs. Total overhead costs of 29% fall within Ci's reasonable range. The charity has total funding reserves of $4.4m, which can cover annual programs for 7 months.

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by Special Olympics Ontario.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending June
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 4.9%5.5%5.7%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 23.8%24.8%29.9%
Program cost coverage (%) 60.7%77.3%78.0%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 155175297
Goods in kind 211010
Government funding 502312234
Lotteries (net) 13997116
Business activities (net) 4,4523,6133,852
Special events 3,0082,6312,353
Investment income 112111108
Total revenues 8,3896,9496,970
Program costs 7,2995,8595,807
Administrative costs 403378389
Fundraising costs 752695793
Cash flow from operations (66)17(20)
Funding reserves 4,4314,5304,530
Note: Ci has presented lottery revenue (Nevada Tickets) net of expenses, decreasing total revenues and expenses by $170k in F2015, $129k in F2014, and $132k in F2013.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top