Canadian Cancer Society - BC & Yukon Division

565 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4J4
CEO: Barbara Kaminsky
Board Chair: Andy Hazlewood

Website: www.cancer/ca/en/?region=bc
Charitable Reg. #: 11882 9803 RR0002
Sector: Health - Cancer
Operating Charity

Social Results Reporting

Grade: A-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #118

Avg. Compensation $99,049

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 2
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 5
$160k - $200k 3
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Canadian Cancer Society - BC & Yukon Division:

Founded in 1938, the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) funds cancer research, advocates for bans on smoking and raises awareness of cancer in Canada. Like the national division, Canadian Cancer Society – BC & Yukon Division (CCSBC) works to improve survival rates of cancer victims and to enhance the quality of life of cancer patients. CCSBC reports that about 200,000 people in Canada are diagnosed with cancer every year, and over half of these cases are preventable.

In F2015, Canadian Cancer Society – BC & Yukon Division spent $13.8m on running its programs, allocated $4.8m to cancer research and used $1.5m on advocacy. CCSBC aids the Canadian Cancer Society in running the Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute. The institute researches cancer prevention, treatment and diagnosis. It runs 4 cancer lodges, located in Prince George, Kelowna, Vancouver and Victoria. The lodges serve as secondary homes for 6,400 cancer patients. As part of its Freemasons Cancer Car program, CCSBC provides 50,000 rides to cancer patients undergoing treatment every year. The charity's CancerConnection program offered one-on-one emotional support to 986 cancer victims. CCSBC's #endtheflavour campaign raised awareness of the harm of fruit-flavoured tobacco products. Canadian Cancer Society – BC & Yukon Division's calls to tax tobacco products resulted in a $3.2 per carton price hike on cigarettes.

Financial Review:

Canadian Cancer Society – BC & Yukon Division is one of the Major 100 charities of Canada. In F2015, it received donations and special events revenues of $23.4m. Administrative costs are 3% of revenues and fundraising costs come to 45% of donations. Total overhead costs are 48%, falling above Ci's reasonable range. CCSBC has funding reserves of $13.9m that can cover 8 months of program costs.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on August 22nd, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending January
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 3.1%2.8%3.4%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 45.3%34.6%38.5%
Program cost coverage (%) 69.5%70.2%85.4%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 13,43718,45519,049
Government funding 3,0372,9181,745
Fees for service 2,5751,7381,627
Special events 9,96511,36711,348
Investment income 1,105746298
Other income 00912
Total revenues 30,11935,22534,979
Program costs 15,31815,75214,565
Grants 4,7577,2695,179
Administrative costs 9069471,178
Fundraising costs 10,59910,30311,688
Cash flow from operations (1,462)9552,369
Funding reserves 13,94716,16516,857
Note: Ci removed amortization from administrative and fundraising costs. Ci includes direct fundraising costs in its expenses calculation.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top