Canadian Cancer Society - Ontario Division

Suite 300 - 55 St Clair Avenue West
Toronto, ON M4V 2Y7
CEO: Martin Kabat
Board Chair: Neil Currie

Website: www.cancer.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 11882 9803 RR0001
Sector: Health - Cancer
Operating Charity

Social Results Reporting

Grade: A-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #0

Avg. Compensation $0

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Canadian Cancer Society - Ontario Division:

Founded in 1938, the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) funds cancer research, influences government policy on cancer and provides information to prevent cancer and to support people with this disease. The Ontario division of CCS (CCSON) focuses more on lung cancer since lung cancer is one of the most fatal forms of cancer in Canada. CCSON aims to raise survival rates and improve the quality of life of cancer patients.

Canadian Cancer Society Ontario Division spent $29.6m on programs, $3.0m on advocacy efforts and allocated $19.2m to cancer research in F2015. It also aids the Canadian Cancer Society in running the Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute (CCSRI). CCSRI's research areas cover prevention, treatment and diagnosis. CCSRI reviews all funding applications and allocates funds. This year, CCSON helped 20,000 smokers in their attempts to quit smoking; it ran the Smokers' Helpline in Ontario. This free telephone service responded to 746 inquiries about lung cancer.

Through its advocacy efforts, the Canadian Cancer Society Ontario Division succeeded in banning smoking on restaurants' patios and other open areas. CCSON states that its research has saved nearly 100,000 lives in the past 20 years.

Financial Review:

Canadian Cancer Society Ontario Division is one of the Major 100 charities of Canada. In F2015, it received donations of $40.6m. Administrative costs are 7% of revenues and fundraising costs come to 45% of donations. Total overhead costs are 52%, falling well above Ci's reasonable range. CCSON has funding reserves of $30.3m of which $5.4m are donor-endowed. Excluding donor-endowed funds, CCSON's funding reserves can cover 6 months of program costs.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by Canadian Cancer Society Ontario Division. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on June 14th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending January
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 7.2%6.8%5.8%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 45.0%39.6%38.4%
Program cost coverage (%) 60.2%70.0%72.0%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 40,58941,27642,768
Government funding 4,6255,0076,252
Lotteries (net) 6,2668,63710,162
Special events 22,81922,78124,010
Investment income 3,0132,1471,354
Other income 2,0391,0441,141
Total revenues 79,35180,89285,687
Program costs 31,04132,96836,206
Grants 19,23020,39421,320
Administrative costs 5,4855,3204,927
Fundraising costs 28,54725,36225,607
Cash flow from operations (4,952)(3,152)(2,373)
Funding reserves 30,25337,33841,393
Note: Ci reports Lotteries net of expenses, reducing revenues and expenses by $20.0m in F2015, $23.0m in F2014 and $22.7m in F2013.  Ci has shifted allocated administrative expenses away from programs, research and advocacy spending to report administrative expenses separately, as per Note 21. Ci also removed amortization from administrative and fundraising expenses.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top