Canadian Cancer Society Newfoundland Division

70 Ropewalk Lane
St. John's, NL A1B 3R9
CEO: Matthew Piercey
Board Chair: Cyril Abbot

Website: www.cancer.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 11882 9803 RR0001
Sector: Health - Cancer
Operating Charity

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: A-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #118

Avg. Compensation $99,049

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 2
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 5
$160k - $200k 3
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Canadian Cancer Society Newfoundland Division:

Founded in 1938, the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) funds cancer research, advocates for bans on smoking and raises awareness of cancer in Canada. Like the national division, Canadian Cancer Society of Newfoundland and Labrador (CCSNL) works to improve survival rates of cancer victims and to enhance the quality of life of cancer patients. CCSNL reports that Newfoundland has the highest rate of cancer in Canada.

In F2015, Canadian Cancer Society Newfoundland and Labrador Division spent $2.1m on its programs, $146k on advocacy and $204k on cancer research. It sent research grants to the Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute. The institute researches cancer prevention, treatment and diagnosis. CCSNL runs the Daffodil Place, an affordable and temporary housing unit for patients and families. Daffodil Place provided housing to 570 patients in F2015. The charity also gave away cancer information packages to 6,000 people in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Through its advocacy, Canadian Cancer Society Newfoundland and Labrador Division succeeded in raising the tax on each cigarette by 3 cents and the tax on tobacco by 6 cents. The government agreed to increase the monthly cap for transportation assistance to cancer patients from $1,500 to $3,000. CCSNL states that its efforts have helped bring cancer survival rates from 39% in the 1970s to 63% today.

Financial Review:

Canadian Cancer Society Newfoundland and Labrador Division is a Mid-Cap charity. In F2015, it received donations and special events revenue of $3.1m. Administrative costs are 3% of revenues and fundraising costs come to 20% of donations. Total overhead costs are 23%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. CCSNL has funding reserves of $532k that can cover program costs for 3 months.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on June 24th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending January
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 3.0%2.9%3.2%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 20.1%20.9%19.3%
Program cost coverage (%) 21.7%21.3%47.2%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
201520142013
Donations 1,260,692799,0231,381,200
Goods in kind 90,56364,66245,717
Government funding 147,945163,65599,820
Lotteries (net) 2,62400
Special events 1,811,3081,974,8412,089,453
Investment income 4,8825,0863,381
Other income 6,5724390
Total revenues 3,324,5863,007,7063,619,571
Program costs 2,251,8972,100,3291,874,344
Grants 203,633291,215167,060
Administrative costs 98,16885,594116,212
Fundraising costs 617,095579,581670,184
Cash flow from operations 153,793(49,013)791,771
Funding reserves 532,547509,829962,600
Note: Ci removed amortization from administrative and fundraising costs. Ci included changes in deferred revenues in its revenues calculation, affecting revenues by $237k in F2015, ($253k) in F2014 and $368k in F2013.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top