CharityIntelligence Canada

Save the Children Canada

300 - 4141 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M2P 2A8
President & CEO: Patricia Erb
Board Chair: Jeff Donahue

Charitable Reg. #: 10795 8621 RR0001
Sector: International Aid
Operating Charity

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Donor Accountability

Grade: A-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to The Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #64

Avg. Compensation $79,863

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 1
$120k - $160k 2
$80k - $120k 7
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About Save the Children Canada:

Founded in 1921, Save the Children Canada (SCC) is a member of Save the Children International, a network of 30 charities that operate in 120 countries. The charities work together as a federation by pooling resources and carrying out projects to improve the lives of children. SCC raises funds in Canada for education, poverty, health, food, gender equality, child protection and emergency response programs in these 120 countries. SCC advocates for Canada’s aboriginal communities, working with Siksika Nation in Alberta and Wabeseemoong Independent Nations in Ontario. In F2015, SCC responded to the crisis in Syria and earthquakes in Nepal.

In F2015, Save the Children Canada spent $54.1m on its international activities and $452k on domestic programs. Of international spending, 32% went to East Africa, 18% to the Middle East, 13% to West Africa, 12% to Asia and 25% to other regions in Africa and South America.  In Nepal, SCC established 30 clinics and 61 Child Friendly Spaces and distributed thousands of hygiene kits to those affected by the earthquakes. In Burkina Faso, SCC helped enrol 478 children in primary school and supported 142 youth to get jobs.  Through the Youth in Action campaign in Burkina Faso, Egypt, Ethiopia, Malawi and Uganda, SCC sent 17,053 local children to school.

Save the Children Canada reports that, thanks to its About the Children campaign, the primary school completion rate in Nicaragua rose from 40% in 2013 to 73% in 2015. Similarly in Kenya, the school enrolment rate went from 58% in 2013 to 61% in 2015.

Financial Review:

Save the Children Canada is a Big-Cap charity with monetary donations of $19.7m in F2015 along with government funding of $28m. Administrative costs are 3% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 20% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 23%, falling within Ci’s reasonable range. SCC has total funding reserves of $18.3m that can cover the charity’s annual program costs for 4 months.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on August 2nd, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
Administrative costs as % of revenues 3.4%3.0%3.6%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 19.7%29.8%17.0%
Program cost coverage (%) 33.5%36.8%66.1%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 19,69613,19321,454
Government funding 27,96035,56326,930
Investment income 1,287252(126)
Other income 8,1477,9624,822
Total revenues 57,08956,97053,079
Program costs - International 54,11554,96839,078
Program costs - Canada 452461495
Administrative costs 1,9071,7171,905
Fundraising costs 3,8863,9363,639
Cash flow from operations (3,270)(4,112)7,962
Funding reserves 18,29320,36926,167
Note: Ci included increases in deferred revenues in its revenue calculations, affecting revenues by ($4.8m) in F2015, ($4.3m) in F2014 and $8.8m in F2013. Ci removed amortization of deferred lease inducement from the income statement. Ci also removed unrealized capital loss from the income statement. Ci excluded foreign exchange loss from expenses calculation and reported foreign exchange loss as part of net investment income in revenues calculation.