St. Paul's Hospital Foundation of Vancouver

178 – 1081 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6
CEO: Dick Vollet
Treasurer: Chris Fisher

Website: www.helpstpauls.com
Charitable Reg. #: 11925 7939 RR0001
Sector: Health - Hospital Foundation
Public Foundation

Social Results Reporting

Grade: C+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #26

Avg. Compensation $94,474

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 2
$80k - $120k 2
$40k - $80k 5
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About St. Paul's Hospital Foundation of Vancouver:

Established in 1980, St. Paul's Hospital Foundation raises funds for St. Paul's Hospital, which serves more than 400k patients annually. The hospital specializes in heart and lung disease, HIV/AIDS, mental illness, and renal disease. The hospital is operated under Providence Health Care, a care provider that operates seven facilities in Vancouver, British Columbia.

In F2015, the foundation raised $24.2m and granted $12.4m to the hospital: 50% was spent on research, 31% on education, 17% on equipment, 1% on enhancing patient care, and 1% on capital projects. In F2015, the foundation has $81m in funding reserves, $75m of which are invested in bonds and equity. $35m or 46% of $75m investments are in equity and mutual funds.

Financial Review:

In F2015, St. Paul's Hospital Foundation spent 4% of revenues on administrative costs and 11% of donations on fundraising costs. Total overhead costs of 15% fall within Ci's reasonable range. The charity had funding reserves of $81m, including donor-endowed funds of $13m. Total funding reserves can cover annual grants for 6.5 years or 5.7 years excluding donor-endowed funds.

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by St. Paul's Hospital Foundation.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 3.7%3.2%3.2%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 10.8%11.5%10.7%
Program cost coverage (%) 650.9%607.9%975.1%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 24,24920,30117,924
Investment income 5,0985,31769
Other income 2815
Total revenues 29,37525,61817,999
Program costs 000
Grants 12,37510,8875,503
Administrative costs 890646571
Fundraising costs 2,6152,3371,909
Cash flow from operations 13,49511,74910,016
Funding reserves 80,54866,17753,661
Note: Ci excluded unrealized gains and losses in investments, affecting total revenue by ($933k) in F2015, $2.7m in F2014, and ($1.3m) in F2013.  Ci used fundraising allocations from the charity's T3010 CRA filing as the charity did not report fundraising costs separately from administration costs on its audited financial statements.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top