Breaking the Cycle of Failure
A Funder's Primer in Understanding Canada's School Drop-out Epidemic
Bri Trypuc and Adam Heller, September 2008.
Imagine your life without a basic education. Unable to read. Or count change. In today's economy you would face a bleak future, struggling with a life of poverty. This is the prospect for a school drop-out.
Ci's Education Report shows that preventing early academic failure and improving school attendance are needed to tackle Canada's drop-out epidemic. It also highlights charities with proven success in helping at-risk youth graduate from school.
Did you know...
- 40,000 young Canadians drop out of school each year
- 40% of drop-outs have less than a grade 10 education
- Early education is critical, with a third of all drop-outs identified before grade 4
Funders can make a difference by helping charities that are:
- Tutoring and mentoring at-risk students in academics, career and life choices
- Dedicated to keeping students attending school
- Offering proven, innovative alternatives to local schools